One of the highlights of our midweek guided Womens Fitness Adventures groups is the home-baked cake, and our newest discovery is amazing for the tastebuds!!
It is only fair to share this recipe secret with everyone.
250 ml vegetable oil, plus extra for greasing
4 large carrots
1 large lemon
100g currants or sultanas
280g plain flour
2 tspn baking powder
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 tspn ground cardamom
¼ tspn ground anise
¼ tspn ground nutmeg
4 tablespoons candied ginger in syrup
1 black tea bag
2 large free range eggs
200g caster sugar
200g light brown sugar
30g flaked coconut
Cream Cheese Icing
200 g cream cheese
1 - 2 tspns of grated lemon rind (optional)
1 cup icing sugar
milk for consistency
- Preheat oven to 180C/gas 4. Grease a 30 x 20cm tray bake tin with veg oil and line with baking paper.
- Peel and grate carrots, and lemon zest into a large bowl, mix in the currants or sultanas, then roughly chop and add the pecans, then set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, ½ teaspoon of sea salt, and the spices, dice and add the ginger, then add the leaves from the tea
bag and mix well.
- To a mixing jug add the eggs, both sugars and the veg oil, then pour the mixture over the carrots, mixing to combine. Add the dry ingredients and mix
briefly or until just combined.
- Pour the batter into your pan and bake in the oven for 55 minutes to 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool
in the tin for 15 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes
Cream Cheese Icing
- Beat the cream cheese, icing sugar and lemon rind (optional) together in a medium bowl until light and creamy. Add a little milk if necessary.
Beat for a further 2 minutes or until mixture takes on a smooth and fluffy consistency.
- Spread the icing thickly over the cake using a wide flat knife or spatula.
- Place the coconut into a dry frying pan over a medium heat and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until lightly toasted, tossing occasionally. Scatter it
over the iced cake then serve.
Share this post: